Vacancies and Volunteering
Job Title Finance Officer
Location Rutherford School, 1A Melville Avenue, South Croydon, CR2 7HZ
Responsible to Director of Services
Salary £25,000-£35,000 per annum depending on experience
Contract 25-30 hours per week
Thank you for your interest in the role of Finance Officer, working for The Garwood Foundation. Please attach your CV and ensure that your supporting statement responds directly to the criteria set out in the Job description. Tell us how your skills and experience meet the requirements of the role by providing evidence and examples where appropriate. The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Context of the Role:
The Garwood Foundation (Charity No. 272905) has provided education and support for people with a range of physical and learning disabilities from Croydon and surrounding areas for more than sixty years. The Foundation is now seeking a Finance Officer to join its management team reporting directly to the Director of Services and ideally with an understanding of charity accounting. The successful applicant will be self-motivated and able to work effectively with the Foundation’s service heads and trustees.
We are looking for someone who has experience of financial management. You will have a good level of IT competency, especially in Excel and SAGE accounting software. You will be good at presenting financial information clearly to non-finance people and above all, you will be good at building strong working relationships with colleagues and members of the Foundation.
- Undertake book-keeping duties, including keeping records of income and expenditure using the charity’s Sage book-keeping software and maintain separate detailed records for each cost centre and separately funded projects
- Correctly allocating income and expenditure to correct NL codes on Sage
- Weekly bank reconciliations
- Provide all required information to the Foundation’s external payroll contractor and pension provider
- Online banking
- Maintain petty cash and the monitoring of cash flow
- Produce monthly figures; budget-v-actual (Excel)
- Support service heads with budget setting
- Ensure all invoices are issued and honoured on a timely basis.
- Facilitate and support the work of the Foundation’s external auditor for end-of-year account preparation.
Relationships and values
- To be committed to the aims and values of the Garwood Foundation.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion
- To maintain excellent communication with The Director, Treasurer and Managers at The Garwood Foundation.
- Aid in the overall development and enhancement of the Foundation’s work.
Vacancy: Voluntary escorts
Location: Bramley Hill Day Care (South Croydon)
Would you like to gain valuable experience in the care sector?
If so Bramley Hill is looking for volunteers to assist drivers to pick members up each morning and drop them home in the afternoon.
If you are interested please contact the Transport Manager Khaled Merchergui on 020 8686 4716 for more details.
Vacancy: Clerk to the Governing Body
Location: Rutherford School
Would you like to be involved in a very worthwhile charitable school educating and caring for children with profound and multiple learning disabilities and complex medical needs?
The Garwood Foundation is the proprietor of Rutherford School. The work of the school is overseen by its Governing Body which is a committee of the Foundation. The Governing Body requires a clerk to manage its business, take minutes at periodic evening meetings, advise the Governors on procedures and contribute to the good governance of the school. The Governors and Trustees hope to recruit an enthusiastic volunteer but will pay all reasonable expenses.
Volunteers always welcome
The Centre’s activities benefit from the greatly appreciated efforts of a number of volunteers.
If you would like to help with one of our friendly activity groups we would love to hear from you. You do not necessarily need to have experience or a particular talent, just enthusiasm and an empathy with people with disabilities. We can assure you that you will find the experience fun and rewarding. In particular we would welcome help with arts & craft, one-to-one cooking, adult education classes or hydrotherapy.
If you are interested please contact the Centre. You will be very welcome to come and meet us and have a look around.